Di Mang,

Looking at the Gnome HIG (since we’re dealing with gtk) their recommendation is
to NOT scroll tabs but rather use a Side Bar List instead or re-arrange the
content:

"Do not use too many tabs. If you cannot see all the tabs without scrolling or
splitting them into multiple rows, you are probably using too many and should
use a list control instead.”
(https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/tabs.html.en)

I see the main window being an exception because those are dynamic tabs that
are part of the primary window, similar to a web browser. (though I’ve been
using left-side tabs for registers/reports and I tend to prefer this) The HIG
also specify to avoid using dynamic tabs for other purposes like controls.

So rather than set a limit where most preference dialogs will use top tabs and
then switch to a Side Bar List, rather, the guidelines would suggest to either
leave them split as-is. So if unified presentation is the goal, you’d rather
have to change all dialogs to Side Bar Lists instead of Tabs. This would
satisfy even the 800x600 or large fonts users as vertical scrolling is more
natural and horizontal scrolling is generally discouraged in both interface and
web design.

Looking over *some* of the report options dialogs, it seems there is room for
consolidation.

Certainly, in almost any report, the contents of ‘General’ can be incorporated
into ‘Display’. At worst, the date range/setting can be left out, and in that
case, perhaps the better UI element would be for the report to have a
toolbar/header bar with date selectors as Action/View buttons. (it *can* be
it’s own primary window. It doesn’t have to open in a tab, and can still have a
parent>child relation, but even stay open if desired after closing the parent -
probably useful in many cases as this would allow placement on other
workspaces, monitors, etc.) I can currently choose to open reports in a new
window, but their toolbar is identical to the parent, which isn’t necessarily
useful as-is. I would suspect the date selectors something to be commonly
changed when running a report, and this would make them very prominent. (and
de-clutter the now consolidated ‘Display/General’ tab)

To be sure, not all ‘General’ tabs are the same, and it seems some of them have
become a catch-all. Then some reports have special tabs for only a few controls
but those separate tabs are generally related. For example, the P&L report has
a tab for Commodities (as do many reports) and another for Entries (dealing
with closing entries). It seems in both cases, the controls deal with
calculation controls. Rather than two tabs here, there should be one ‘generic’
tab called ‘Calculations’ or something better. The content of the tab can use
divider lines to separate the controls into groups if needed. I’m now going to
do for the individual controls, what you did for the tabs and map them all out
and where they presently are organized and perhaps instead should be.

It seems so far (research pending) that at the least report options are needed
for three things:

What data will be included (the accounts tab)
How that data will be manipulated/calculated (the new ‘calculations’ tab, but
perhaps even non-existent for some basic reports)
How the results will be displayed (the display tab)

On that note, date selectors determine the data to be included, so perhaps they
instead belong on the Accounts tab (renamed to ‘data’ or ‘info’ perhaps?) or
just put them on a toolbar for the report.

Perhaps there are more classes of controls, but if not, that means each report
needs only three tabs.

Some options, like commodity calculations perhaps should be in general GnuCash
preferences under reports. (which is pretty sparse currently) And really, there
are some options (like much of the Display tab) which are common to all
reports. Those might be better moved there as well. (so you get a general
unified presentation style, but you can manipulate within each report display
options specific to *that* specific report or instance of report) I could be
wrong, but my guess would be if someone doesn’t want zero values in one report,
they don’t want them in any report, and the same for accounts with no balance,
or where parent accounts are placeholders only. (another spot that shouldn’t
even be a preference, if it’s a placeholder, it will never have a balance other
than zero and the balance should always be suppressed visually)

I’ve always thought the report options to be a kitchen-sink type approach and
some reports I honestly can’t make heads or tails of what changing some
particular setting is going to accomplish. (the visual hierarchy on some tabs
is atrocious if just non-existent) To be clear, non of this is a knock on the
hard work the devs have put in. But from a user perspective, this has always
been a sore spot for me and judging by questions on the list related to ‘how do
I accomplish this or that in a report’ or ‘is there a report to show me X’ I’d
say there is room for improvement here. Once this is all mapped out, decisions
can be made on how to re-organize or re-design. I think most info can be
gleaned from the current crop of reports, but rather how to accomplish this is
slightly obtuse and not very discoverable.

I know I just went all over the map, sorry.

I’ll start categorizing each setting/option by how it affects the report and
then we’ll all have a clearer picture of what settings are common and which
seem misplaced and then what to do with them.

I suspect after that work is done, your tab question will no longer need an
answer.