As Mint is based on Ubuntu you *might* be facing the read-only usb bug. (which
seems to keep reappearing after being allegedly fixed) What are the permissions
on the parent folder for the mount point of the drive? And then the same for
the gnucash folder and files? (I’m looking for either octals like ‘755’ or the
string type like ‘wrxwrx-r-’)

And, I know this sounds terrible for Linux, but does a log-out/in or a system
restart magically make the external drive read-write? (a strong indication of
the aforementioned bug)