On 8/27/2018 4:59 AM, Colin Law wrote:
Wow, that is a lot of personal data, mine goes back to 2001 and is
only 2MB.  Is that the default file type (XML) and have you specified
Compress files in Preferences > General?

In my opinion it is best to keep all the data in one file, then you
have immediate access to all the history.  So far for me the PC power
has kept pace with the file size so I have not noticed much difference
over the years.
  However, maybe good to discuss the original question.

TWO parts to this, splitting OLD data into separate years vs in the future having separate years. Or perhaps something in between, every several years when the file grows too large, starting over.

Yes, it is important to be able to access historical data. But important to consider how often one needs to do that. It doesn't hurt very much if rare operations are slow as long as frequent operations are fast.

Thus you could consider (for that third choice) at the end of the current year opening a new set off books for the next year. You would do this from the end of the year Balance Sheet << export the CoA and then plug in the standing account balances from the Balance Sheet >> You then open gnucash with this new set of books for continuing on BUT can always open the old file if and when you need to look at historical data. Personally (for added safety) I would have burned that file (the old books) on ROM medium and when wanting to look at historical data, slip that disk in and then tell gnucash to open* THAT file (rather than the current books). Safe from you accidentally changing something.

Michael D Novack