On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

Right-click the transaction in your checking register and choose “Edit
Payment” or “Assign as Payment” (depending on if it was already assigned
at one time or not)

Then select both the payment and the invoice it should apply to and save
the result.

Adrien,

  Thanks, I'll do that.

Pre-payments happen when you process a payment and don’t assign it to an
invoice. They can also happen when you unpost an invoice that is already
paid and GnuCash doesn’t manage to reapply the payment when you repost the
invoice. (not usual, but it does happen)

  I have not explicitly processed a payment without assigning it to an
invoice. Doing that makes no sense ... to me.

  With one client I _might_ have unposted/reposted the invoice. With this
past week's actions that was not the case.

Regards,

Rich