On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, David Cousens wrote:

All of the icons in the toolbar that I have looked at in GC 3.2 running on
Linux (Mint 19) seem to have tooltips which explain their function
implemented which show up if you hover over the icons (not just Save Close
and Split). A little slow but ok while you become familiar with the icon
meanings. Is this not the case on the OS you are using? If not it may be
an OS dependent problem.

David,

  You're absolutely correct. Every application using icons defaults to using
tool tips. As you write, it requires moving the pointing device and takes a
bit more time.

  Text on a toolbar does not require tool tips. And, many applications have
keyboard shortcuts so that Alt-<letter> provides direct access. For example,
the GIMP allows me to typd Ctrl-Shift-e to export a file instead of clicing
on the File menu, then the Export item.

Rich