On 29/10/2018 16:49, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

We’ve discussed envelope budgeting quite a bit here on the list. Do a list
restricted search to find the threads. I’ve tried it myself in the past, and
currently have the account tree set up to use, but honestly, it is probably
better to use an outside piece of software to manage the budgeting and just use
GnuCash for the actual real accounting. (GnuCash has a budget module, but it is
not envelope based) There are several methods and lots of pitfalls. The least
of which is nearly double the work in entering transaction splits.

I think it is a envelope budget hangover.

Finally, there are plenty of good standard accounting textbooks online for
free. Here’s one I’ve found pretty useful as a quick reference:
https://www.principlesofaccounting.com/ (I have a college textbook I kept that
is probably better, but that copy is on paper and this is at my fingertips)

All of your questions though were not accounting questions, but GnuCash
mechanics questions. We don’t give accounting advice here, but can offer some
basic generic example help and can point you in the right direction, but if the
question is “how do I do ‘x’ with GnuCash” like you’ve asked, that’s what we’re
here for.

You are sort of right and sort of wrong, the OP wants something that gnc can do with effort but if you have brains you don't bother with.

Envelope budgeting is, oddly, something Trump voters pay for.  Weird.

--
Wm