Interesting. Glad you found a workaround. But that sounds like a bug. Please
report it. (note, I don’t see a similar bug already on Bugzilla)

I can confirm this behavior. As well, if you delete the workaround transaction
before creating the budget, the account won’t show up. So it isn’t just a
matter of creating an initial transaction, there has to be a transaction in the
account for it to appear in the new budget. (presumably, you can *then* delete
that workaround transaction)