I understand what you mean by they were ‘gone’ because Gnucash couldn’t read
the remainder of the file. But does opening saved-reports-2.8 in a text editor
(something like Atom, Gedit, vi, emacs, etc.) show the subsequent reports still
defined there? (warning, I think this file is in Scheme, but you can do a find
on your report names)

I can’t fathom how removing an errant report magically un-truncated a file. If
the data was gone, it was gone. But if Gnucash simply couldn’t read it past a
certain point, though the report definitions were still there, that would make
sense. (what is perplexing is why the OS would report a different file size)

Or did you simply restore a 2.8 backup or a saved-reports-2.4 version and
remove the offending report to ‘recover' the lost reports? I wasn’t quite clear
in my understanding there.