Welcome to GnuCash!

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 1:27 PM, Kevin Kelly <ke...@houseofkelly.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve used Mondeydance for a long time. Unfortunately, updates to Mac OS have
> impacted mouse actions and it is difficult now to navigate. I have no
> complaints, it is free and I’ve gotten good use. Now, I need a replacement
> and I’m considering GNUCASH. Can it:
>
> 1. Import transactions from banking accounts using QFX?

I don’t use this facility, but based on my recollections of other threads here,
no.

QFX if I understand correctly is a proprietary variety of OFX, which GnuCash
*can* import. Do a list search for QFX specific questions or work arounds.
Since most apps or services can also export CSV, it is recommended to use that
instead. Otherwise, I seem to recall that you might be able to manually
tweak/edit the QFX file to make it conform to OFX standards and then import,
but don’t quote me on that. Perhaps someone more familiar with this will chime
in for you.

> 2. Does it allow for backup/recovery?

That is a file manager function of your operating system. (If you’re using
MacOS, you have Time Machine built-in, but you can always use other solutions,
including copy and pasting the data file to any other location of your choosing
on a schedule you prefer)

There is some ‘recovery’ functionality of ‘replaying’ log files but this is an
off-case. You’re more likely to simply copy over a backup file and proceed from
there.

> 3. Can I import data from Moneydance or do I start all over?

Can Moneydance export CSV? Then yes. Again, do a list search on ‘Moneydance’. I
recall seeing it discussed somewhat over the past few years.

> 4. Does it have some sort of budget?

Somewhat. I’ve used it a bit. It is rather limited, not very kind to repetitive
entry (no copy/paste ability of entire periods) but it does the job, can even
estimate a budget based on past transactions, and reporting is fairly
configurable.

It is not designed for the ‘envelope’ method though if that is what you are
looking for. (there are some round-about methods of using GnuCash in that
fashion, but it is generally advised otherwise to use a 3rd party budgeting
tool and just enter the actual transactions in Gnucash)

I do find that using it in conjunction with the Transaction Report comparing
periods is very instructive and helpful to see if I am making progress in my
spending goals, or beating my head against a wall.

> If I have to start over, it is no big deal but I do need to be able to import
> using a downloaded transaction file.

I would start with an empty file, creating your desired accounts and start
entering fresh data. (you can estimate your starting balances to get going)
Then once you are comfortable after a few weeks/months, then import your
historical data from Moneydance. (you’ll need to edit/delete those starting
balance transactions as they will be now made up of those historical
transactions)