On 22/02/2019 15:34, John Ralls wrote:

Our position has always been and will likely always be that we support writing
to a GnuCash file or database only through the GnuCash API. That's not the same
thing as from inside of GnuCash.

Nods, in theory.

GnuCash's libraries expose their API through the C calling convention that can
be linked by just about any compiled language. You'll need to get the sources
for the headers. We also provide Python 3 and Scheme (via Guile) bindings for
parts of the API, though the Python bindings aren't built in the Microsoft
Windows or MacOS application bundles.

That's where it gets weird.

Do bear in mind that the GnuCash libraries aren't bullet-proof and it's still possible to wreck your database even with the GnuCash API if you're not careful (or are carefully malicious).

Yikes! I haven't seen anyone I consider responsible doing that recently

The API is complex and the documentation ranges from pretty good to nonexistent; it can be found at https://code.gnucash.org/docs/MAINT.

in truth only a handful of people have a vague clue.

On tho other hand, if you just want to create a bunch of transactions you might
not need to code anything: The GnuCash 3.x CSV transaction importer is pretty
capable.

yes, the importer is improving, it is getting close to being able to read it's own tx. when it can do that well, you can introduce your own tx to the stream.

--
Wm