On 8/12/2019 12:45 PM, Clint Chaplin wrote:
This is also similar to NetSuite, which is an on-line double entry
bookkeeping service, and where "journal entries" are a special case
transaction, even though by definition everything is really a journal entry.

It is definitely a terminology confusion.

In the old days, especially with "cash book" accounting*, a "journal entry" referred to a transaction that was not affecting any of the cash accounts. So mainly corrections and adjustments (example: recording depreciation).

It has no real meaning in a "virtual journal" system like gnucash.

Michael D Novack

* A shortcut where there was a special part of the ledger called the "cash book" which had the account for cash and a half dozen or so of the most affected other accounts. Any transactions that could skipped the "enter into the journal first" step and were entered directly in the cash book << usually 90+% of transactions could be >> Any transactions that affected OTHER accounts were entered the usual way, in the journal and then posted to the ledger.

When I did this, I usually reserved a pair of columns in the cash book for the journal. For example, using 12 column paper, I could have the journal, cash, and the four "most popular" other ledger accounts. Or possibly more if only keeping one side here << the "real" ledger had all the accounts, even those in the cashbook. At the bottom of each cashbook page the totals were posted to the "real account" >>

The reason for using a cashbook was to reduce posting. Transcription errors during posting were by far the majority of all errors.

Michael D Novack