On 8/28/2019 5:52 AM, Haim Roman wrote:
I get separate statements for the checking account & debit card.
On the checking account, it just notes that money was transferred to the
debit card.
It's the debit card statement that says to whom I paid.

In addition, sometimes the checking statment notes a *single *transfer to
the debit card that actually corresponds to *multiple *transactions on the
debit card statement.

I live in Israel.  Maybe debit cards work a bit differently in other
countries.

I have a sneaky suspicion that "debit cards" are different in different places.

THIS example seems very similar to "petty cash fund" except no need to prefund (gets refreshed as needed by a transfer from the supporting account). If that refresh is always after, you COULD treat like a credit card that was never used to borrow money << ie: a "30 day net" account >>

BTW -- that IS how Penny and I use our credit cards and also the business credit cards of the orgs I keep books for. In other words, although on the books as a liability, the balance is always paid in full, no interest ever paid, no loan balances left outstanding << though of course could show that way at the end of a reporting period >>

As for where to put an Israeli "debit card", could do either as an asset or a liability << this is easier to see when you just think debits and credits>>I I would decide that by the DATES the bank uses for the "refresh" transfer transaction, is that before or after on the statement.

Michael D Novack