It at least uses the <ACCTID>, which is matched via the
outside-account-to-gnucash-account list. And imports of multiple TIAA contracts
containing multiple instances of the same fund do work correctly if the links
are set up correctly. I’m currently using gnucash 4.1, but I don’t recall
problems with 3.8 specifically. There was one version where changes in the
matcher resulted in requests to re-establish links to the various TIAA accounts
and funds.

I frequently have to undo my choices when I get one of those dialogs because
I’m not careful enough at reading the exact language at the top of the dialog.
I haven’t made many changes lately, but I think you’ll get a request to
identify a security, but that usually also includes a statement about which
TIAA contract is involved. Then (? hmm, not sure of the order…) it’ll ask you
for a gnucash account to associate with a specific TIAA contract. Somewhere
along the way, there’s a question about which account to associate income from
the various contracts and/or funds. Most of that used to get rolled up inside
the TIAA/CREF funds, but now at least one of our contracts splits out a special
fee/credit that is something like the net difference between dividends and fees
for several of the funds.

If your employer hasn’t done an administrative change that would kick some
extra transactions into your ofx stream (and there appears to be a lot of
pressure from somewhere to do that), then having gnucash ask for additional
matching info is a bit strange. One other possibility is that your employer’s
plan has qualified for a better version of the same fund you’ve had for a while
(R3 vs R2 fee levels, higher digit is lower fees). One example is CREF stock R3
(QCSTIX in public symbol world) vs CREF stock R2 (QCSTPX).

Since there have been a few import transaction matcher changes lately, I’d
recommend giving gnucash version 4.1 a try if you can. I’m unfamiliar with the
version availability in the linux prepackaged realm.
--
Dave Reiser
dbrei...@icloud.com