IIUC, when a user opens a .gnucash file with GnuCash, EG foo.gnucash is
opened, GnuCash creates an additional file in the same folder, as a signal
that this file is open and being modified.  This is the lock file. The lock
file will have the same file name plus LCK extension. EG foo.LCK for when
foo.gnucash is opened.

Before GnuCash opens the file, it looks for a file that starts with the
file name you asked it to open and ends with .LCK.  If it finds this file,
it gives the warning about difficulty obtaining a lock.  In this case,
GnuCash thinks the file you're trying to open is already open and being
edited.

Knowing this, a potential work around for Windows users (perhaps others?)
until the software is corrected:  When the user is finished using GnuCash,
save and close per usual.  If the file saved correctly and GnuCash closed
correctly, the file that ends .LCK should have also been deleted (lock
released).  Confirm that it was deleted by opening the folder location
where the .gnucash file is stored and look for files that end with .LCK.
If a .LCK file is found, delete it.

With no .LCK file present, the next time GnuCash tries to open the .gnucash
file, the user won't get the obtaining lock message.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis