My memory is a bit fuzzy, but version 4 made some significant changes to (I
think) a number of key-value structures in the database. The first time you
open version 4, it has to convert all the old values (if you have done lots of
transaction importing, that’s a big contributor). If you quit gnucash before
it’s done with the conversion, it  has to start over the next time. I think it
took something like 45 minutes before my Mac was done updating everything
internally in the database.

After that it has been fine.
--
Dave Reiser