Hello,

I'm using GnuCash 4.4 under Windows 10, and I am wondering how GnuCash sorts accounts in the Chart of Accounts window. My chosen sort order is by Account Code; however, I choose not to assign account codes for a large number of accounts (such as individual commodities in a brokerage account). For these accounts, I assumed that GnuCash sorts accounts by their names, based on an ASCII sort--which is generally what I see. The result is something like:

1599 - Broker A
-- 21st Century Fox
-- Alphabet
-- IBM

1600 - Alphabetically Earlier Account with higher account code

and so forth. And, indeed, that is how I see most of these accounts.

However, I decided to change up my structure and add a cash account to one of my brokerage accounts, and  no matter what I name this account, it shows up after every commodity account, like so:

1599 - Broker A
-- 21st Century Fox
-- Alphabet
-- IBM
-- 1 Cash

I've tried putting "*" "-" " ", and the result is the same; Cash appears after the commodities. Can anyone explain to me how GnuCash is arriving at this sort? Can anyone tell me if there is some way I can get the Cash account to appear before the commodities, without assigning account codes to them all? Assigning codes is out of the question because I'd have to resequence every commodity account after the purchase of any new commodity, which would get old very quickly.

TIA,

David