@Derek:

Please re-read my email. In it you will see that I am NOT/NOT asking about how to handle entries that are automatically added to Imbalance-USD. I am fully aware of Gnucash behaviors in regard to the creation of entries into Imbalance-USD, and I have a long-established workflow in place for handling such created entries.

What I was noting is a CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR from earlier versions of Gnucash. In earlier versions, entries to Imbalance-USD would be added to the EXISTING Imbalance-USD account, regardless of its placement in the Chart of Accounts. In my books, I moved Imbalance-USD to be a child account of a new Top Level account that I created called "Special Accounts."

I have Used "Special Accounts" since around 2007 to encapsulate any and all "Imbalance-XXX" accounts, any "Orphaned Gains-XXX" accounts, any "Orphan-XXX" accounts (whatever they got created for), as well as my own "Unspecified" account (used on exceedingly rare occasions). This keeps the clutter down in the main Chart of Accounts. For the record, in each of these cases, I took the automatically-created account and MOVED it into its subsidiary location, a process I attempted with the GC4.5-vintage Imbalance-USD account without success.

In ALL prior versions (prior to 4.5), any imbalance entries would be added to "Special Accounts:Imbalance-USD", and I would periodically go through that account and clear up discrepancies. In GnuCash 4.5, these imbalance entries are ALWAYS placed in a top level account named "Imbalance-USD" regardless of the existence of "Special Accounts:Imbalance-USD".

@David:

Thank you for the vote of support.