Have been following this thread because I use Linux Mint, which is based on the LTS version of Ubuntu. Yes, the GnuCash version in the Ubuntu LTS repository is way out of date (3.8). I'm out of date, even on Windows (3.10 in one machine, 4.3 on the other), mainly due to laziness about chasing down latest versions and wariness about file compatibility, plus wanting to maintain compatibility with the LInux machine. So far, that's worked. But it would be nice to have everything, at least briefly, on the same version. I've built my own before, for other software, but I'd rather not.

Anyway, for the Linux side, I wonder why the repository version must be frozen, or if there's a workaround other than using Flatpack (which I've had problems with as a platform). Libreoffice, Firefox, and Thunderbird seem to be able to work around it, and their Linux versions update to match the Windows version within a week (usually only a day or 2) of the Windows release. Not sure how they're doing it, but it might be worthwhile for GNC to try it - perhaps a separate PPA? Since Linux is polite enough to ask before updating, those who don't want to update can easily block it.

-Mike Brady
 Plain Old User