I use something like Michael's approach with paychecks, but my simple workaround is that I enter the correct amount deposited to my checking account (that *is* what I'm most interested in!), using a previous pay transaction as the template. Inevitably, IT DOES NOT BALANCE, and I end up with an entry in Imbalance-USD, which I monitor for zero balance.

My workaround with my mortgage is to download the transaction history for the mortgage once a year (more frequently, if I'm feeling twitchy), and then I reconcile the MORTGAGE principle account. If the transactions there are "N", then I know I need to check them for accuracy.

For Stephen's use case, I don't see how creating inaccurate entries using the loan scheduler is somehow better than creating inaccurate entries using other techniques.

David T.