I would like to produce reports that show:
  money spent on meals, hotels, ...
  money spend on various trips

In Quicken, the transactions were coded as:
  Expense:meals/home
  Expense:meals/20210112
  Expense:hotel/20210112
  Expense:meals/20210215
  Expense:hotel/20210215
using both Categories (what) and Classes (which trip, if any).
I understand the Classes are not currently supported in gnucash.

In gnucash, I can see two ways to do the setup:
  Expense:meals:home
  Expense:meals:20210112
  Expense:hotel:20210112
  Expense:meals:20210215
  Expense:hotel:20210215
Or
  Expense:home:meals
  Expense:20210112:meals
  Expense:20210112:hotel
  Expense:20210215:meals
  Expense:20210215:hotel
But, there might be a better way.  Suggestions?

If I do either of those two setups, will I be
able to produce all the reports I want?