GnuCash will always re-select the last date you used to create a new
transaction.  So if you are entering multiple transactions, when you open
the register it will default to today.. Change that to 6 months ago and
enter the transaction.  Then the *next* transaction (in that register)
will default to that same date 6 months ago...

If you close the register, then you'll lose that.

The date does not carry over into another register.

However, how many registers do you really NEED to open?  If you enter them
from your asset or liability accounts, you don't need to open many.

-derek

On Wed, November 30, 2022 8:41 pm, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> If one is entering a transaction the date defaults to today. That seems
> quite reasonable. However, if entering historical transactions, that date
> needs changing. It’s easy to overlook that, so a transaction made 6 months
> ago gets recorded today.
>
> Is there any way to stop GnuCash automatically selecting todays date, and
> so forcing one to select a date manually? I believe that would reduce the
> chances of errors when entering old transactions.
>

> --
> Dr. David Kirkby,
> Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
> drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
> https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
> Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100
>
> Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
> Registered office:
> Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT,
> United
> Kingdom

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com