Hi,

Yes, you can enter transactions in whatever order you like.

However you can you only RECONCILE in date-order, because reconciliation
is always "from the beginning of time".  So once you reconcile, you cannot
(easily) add transactions earlier than the latest reconcile date, and you
cannot reconcile backwards (newest to oldest).

Hope this helps,

-derek

On Tue, December 13, 2022 12:19 pm, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> I am starting to enter into GnuCash the transactions starting late
> February
> this year. That’s going to be a slow painful process. However, I have had
> few transactions today, which I would like to enter too. Does the order
> the
> transactions are entered matter, as long as the dates are correct?
>
> In the case of bills,  but not invoices, I have never kept any number
> associated with them - only with invoices. So it would mean that the
> number
> on bills are pretty much random, as I would be entering transactions in
> December before some of those of March.
>
> I could simply start bills in December with the lowest number being 1000,
> and bills from late February starting with number 1. (There would be less
> than 1000 transactions, so they would not overlap.) But since I have never
> associated a number with them, a number being out of order doesn’t matter
> to me.
>
> Will exported CVS files be in date order, or the order the transactions
> were entered? Will the transactions in GnuCash windows be shown in date
> order, or the order the transactions are entered? (I am on my mobile phone
> now, so can not actually test this, but people might know of things that I
> am overlooking.
>
> I could make a backup of the file, add in a spurious entry to get the bank
> balance right, then check that the would reconcile, but obviously I can’t
> reconcile today until all historical transactions are entered.
>
> Dave
> --
> Dr. David Kirkby,
> Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
> drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
> https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
> Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100
>
> Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
> Registered office:
> Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT,
> United
> Kingdom

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com