On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 at 01:50, Bite Gao <redfrog2...@outlook.com> wrote:

> GnuCash Developers and Maintainers:

   Hello! While you have mentioned the requirement of human intervene in
the reconciliation process, I do not see it contradicts with the presence
of automatically reconciliation system.

   Yours,

>   Bite, Gao
> Jan 6th, 2023

I think this is a very tricky AI problem, and possibly the subject of a PhD
research degree.  There seems to be two aspects to this

1) Given a set of data from a bank, and a set of transactions entered into
GnuCash, is there any possibility that they could reconcile? Automatically
determining if reconciliation is impossible is probably not too tricky.

It might be computationally demanding, but a brute force method of trying
every possible combination of debits and credits could determine if
reconciliation is possible in one or more ways, or totally impossible.

No artificial intelligence is required - just brute force work. Some not
particularly difficult work could determine if reconciliation is impossible
without much work at all. For example, if a bank account has risen by more
than the sum of all the debts, ignoring all the credits.

2) Much more tricky would to determine if any possible combination of
matches is accurate. I think that would be a very tricky indeed.

Recently I had in my GnuCash account a payment to Mouser £113. The invoice
from Mouser said £113. A line in the bank statement showed £113, and said
Mouser on the same line. I reconciled that. Only later when I looked at the
PayPal account did I see that Mouser had been paid with PayPal. So the
money didn’t move directly from my bank account to Mouser, but via another
account I have. I suspect any automatic procedure would struggle with
issues like these unless all banks and similar places indicate information
in a well documented and internationally accepted manner.

Dave

> --
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom