Hi,

On Sun, January 22, 2023 7:31 am, xboxboy.mageia+GnuCash wrote:
> Thank you to all who have replied.
>
> I attempted to enter a split transaction in the 'dividend' income page,
> and then it vanished: I found it had transferred to the company stock
> tab: It appeared to be correct, and the amounts ending up in the correct
> accounts :)

The reason it "vanished" was because you had no splits tied to the open
account.  So there was nothing holding it to the current view.

> So I was able to enter ALL the data for that stock, and then I was even
> able to enter the final sale and scrub the account correctly.
>
> I can not express how WILD, FRUSTRATED and angry I was with myself. But
> it's now done, and I can always refer to that as a template/transaction
> to copy.
>
> Is there a function to 'lock' an account so it can no longer be edited
> accidentally?

Yes.  Mark the account as "placeholder" and you won't be able to add any
transactions or otherwise edit the contents of the account.

> Thank you everyone, I really, really appreciate your patience and help.

You're welcome.

Happy Gnucashing!

-derek

> On 22/1/23 18:57, Maf. King wrote:
>> On Sunday, 22 January 2023 04:50:47 GMT xboxboy.mageia+GnuCash wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks: Now which page/account/ledger do I do this on? The dividend
>>> income one? the company dividend income one? the company stock one??
>>>
>> When the dividends are being reinvested automatically, I enter the
>> transaction
>> in the relevant stock account.  I just find it easier to see with the
>> number/
>> price/value boxes in front of me.
>>
>> Instead of the usual approach of the cash to buy the shares being
>> transferred
>> from Assets:Bank, just transfer from Income:dividend[:etc] and also if
>> requited ensure you have the split to show the tax credit too.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Maf.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com