On Sat, 11 Mar 2023, Jamie Tolbert via gnucash-user wrote:

how do I edit it to put my opening balance in ?!?!?!

Jamie,

You understand double-entry accounting, so an opening balance in an asset
account is a debit, while a withdrawal is a credit. The off-setting account
for that asset opening balance can be a liability or an equity account.

First thing for you to do: using pencil and paper or a text editor, create a
Chart of Accounts for your rental business. I've attached my business book
CoA as revised by me an my accountant 6 years ago. It ain't copyrighted so
you're welcome to use the same thing Of course, if you keep the bank names
the same you're welcome to add money to them. :-)

You'll see that the first Equity account is Opening Balances. That should
help you grok how to get started.

Regards,

Rich