Before you go the flatpak route though, it may be worth figuring out why your
settings are
not saved. Are there any messages in your trace file ?

A known issue with saving settings is when you have applications installed in
/usr/local. Or
more specifically if there are schema files in
/usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas/. In that case
gnucash fails to find its own schema files in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/.
This issue was
fixed for gnucash 4.13.

Regards,

Geert