> On Jul 17, 2023, at 11:11 AM, Bruce Schuck <bsch...@asgard-systems.com> wrote:
>
> On 7/17/23 10:02 AM, john wrote:
>
>> It's not all non-US securities. In AlphaVantage it appears to be only
>> LSE stocks; JSE stocks aren't supported and Tel Aviv stocks support
>> only ILS. The Yahoo JSON module adjusts prices for Zac (South Africa)
>> and ILA (Israel) as well as GBX, but Yahoo JSON apparently includes a
>> currency code to make that easy. That seems to be missing from
>> YahooWeb, perhaps an oversight on Vincent's part. The currency is
>> available on https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBP.L
>> <https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBP.L> prefixed by "Currency In" in
>> div id="quote-header-info".
>
> The currency is being captured by YahooWeb. For GBP.L (traded in GBp/GBX) has
> its price converted to GBP and currency reported as such. At the time of this
> writing, GBP.L was 0.1850 GBp, F::Q v1.57 yahooweb returns 0.00185 GBP.
>
> % gnc-fq-dump -v yahooweb GBP.L
>
> stock           field  value
> -----           -----  -----
> GBP.L        currency: GBP
> GBP.L            date: 07/17/2023
> GBP.L        exchange: LSE - LSE Delayed Price
> GBP.L         isodate: 2023-07-17
> GBP.L            last: 0.00185
> GBP.L          method: yahooweb
> GBP.L            name: Global Petroleum Limited
> GBP.L         success: 1
> GBP.L          symbol: GBP.L
>
> > So for AlphaVantage it seems only .L and .IL suffix securities would
> > need to be queried, and maybe only .L unless there are known
> > instances where .IL-suffixed symbols are priced in GBP.
>
> I will change the AlphaVantage.pm fix I'm working on to only execute the
> extra API call for securities ending with '.L'.
>
>> Rather than spending an extra query maybe AlphaVantage.pm could
>> accept a special extra suffix indicating that the user wants quotes
>> to be multiplied by 100, perhaps X, so a request for GBP.L priced in
>> GBP would be GBP.L.X.
>
> If I understand, this method assumes the user knows that the data from AV for
> GBP.L is priced in GBp/GBX. Correct?
>
>> Alternatively we could create a GBX, ZAX, and ILA pseudo-currencies
>> in GnuCash and users would create parent accounts in those currencies
>> for stocks quoted that way. That would take a little finessing on
>> users' part because using it would depend both on the currency the
>> stock is quoted in and whether F::Q converts it to the "real"
>> currency.
>
> F::Q currently sets currency based on suffix. '.L' gets mapped to 'GBP'. I
> just checked, currently no map in AV for ZAR. By chance, you don't have an
> example for me? Thanks. Like the previous comment, this also expects users to
> know what currencies the different securities are reports as coming from the
> AV module, correct? While I like the idea on a high level, I think that is
> asking for trouble reports from users having pricing issues.

Bruce,

Sorry, I can't provide any examples of JSE or TASE stocks, I was going
completely off of looking at the code in the three modules.

Yes, both of my suggestions transfer the responsibility for knowing what
currency a stock is traded in to the user. In GnuCash's case that
responsibility is already there. GnuCash doesn't use the currency returned from
F::Q, it assumes that the price is denominated in the currency of the nearest
parent account denominated in a currency. We don't get that many users who miss
that detail and it's pretty easy for them to fix their books. I don't know
about other programs using F::Q.

Regards,
John Ralls