Please remember to copy the list on all replies.

No smackdown intended. You really need to understand basic accounting in order
to use GnuCash effectively, and thinking that accounts in GnuCash are somehow
equivalent to Quicken's categories is a common mistake for those new to
GnuCash.

Several others have answered the question already: Import small pieces, a month
or two at a time, until the matcher gets it mostly right, then move to larger
pieces. This is another common issue to users coming to GnuCash from Quicken
and there's a longer explanation at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Quicken_Migration.

Regards,
John Ralls