I've just had a thought on a possible reason the original file could not be
saved.  I may be barking up the wrong tree.....

Does Win have a maximum length for a filename?

If Barry (OP) has been repeatedly opening and working on backups and backups
of backups etc.., is it possible that repeated time-stamps have hit some sort
of string-length limit (either in Win, GC, Gnome-libs or whatever layer)??

Last time I was actively using MS for anything regularly, the filename length
limit was 8+3 ... so I'll defer to pretty much anyone's opinion on this!

Maf