If you look at any of the reports with the word Chart in their name you
will find that they chart values over time, which is what you want.  You
get a pretty chart as a bonus.  Depending on your account structure it may
be easy or not to include the accounts that you want.

On Sun, Sep 3, 2023 at 2:34 PM Michael or Penny Novack <
stepbystepf...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 9/3/2023 2:43 PM, Paras Desai wrote:
> > Hi Ken
> >
> > Thanks for your kind reply and efforts in explaining a way.
> >
> > Apparently, it appears that there is no alternative but to run reports
> on two dates and compare or do some analysis.
> >
> > Any reports comparing two period is a desirable thing in finance and
> accounting, may it be personal accounting.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paras
>
> You are quite correct, comparing two periods is desirable.
>
> What perhaps is confusing you is "a report" vs "comparing two runs of
> that report". Yes of course, there COULD be a report Y that compared two
> X reports. But there are some good reasons where that might best be done
> "outside". There might quite possibly be the need for some human
> decision making. I'll give a different report as an example (but one
> where "as of date A" is commonly compared to "as of date B")
>
> Consider the Balance Sheet report. We are suggesting that to produce a
> report comparing "as of date A" with "as of date B" you rut the two
> reports, export, bring into a spreadsheet or something else you can
> edit, and there produce the final report. Why? Why not an automatically
> generated report? Well IF there is a one to one correspondence of
> accounts "as of date A" vs "as of date B" this would be simple << you
> can imagine a new report in gnucash called "Compare Balance Sheets" to
> which you would supply two dates >> But what if the CoA "as of date A"
> does NOT correspond 1:1 to the CoA "as of date B"? Accounts could have
> been added, accounts could have been deleted, accounts could have
> changed names, etc. You expect a computer (even with a pretty good AI
> application) to be able to figure out what has happened and to line
> things up properly?
>
> Situation 1:    Account A present at date 1, absent at date 2, while
> account B present at date 2 not present at date 2.
>
> Situation 2:   No actual change except account A was renamed account B
>
> As a human bookkeeper, you know which happened (hopefully you remember)
>
> Michael D Novack

David Carlson