On Tuesday, 5 September 2023 13:51:11 BST Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) wrote:
> On 2023-09-04 21:28, Jediator wrote:
> > Let's not to discuss whether it's a good idea or not to delete an
> > account that contains transactions.  It's a valid user function in GC to
> > delete a non-empty account.
>
> I've never done that myself, but from discussions I followed here in the
> past, when you delete an account that has transactions, GC prompts you
> to specify an account to move those transactions to. Did that not happen
> for you?
>
>  > If you follow the double-entry accounting
> >
> > rule, the related transactions in other accounts should be deleted.
>
> I beg to differ. Just deleting an account can't change the past. Those
> transactions represent events that happened, and deleting the account
> can't make them unhappen; they must continue to exist *somewhere*. Maybe
> going to Imbalance is what happens if you don't give GC an account to
> move them to?

Hi,

I just tried deleting an account.   As expected, I was presented with the
choice to "move transactions to..." or "Delete all transactions" (see
screenshot - this is GC 4.x, maybe the wording is different in v5)

Deleting the transactions does not really seem to delete anything, the
transaction splits effectively moved to Imbalance-GBP.

 One could argue that "splits" in the deleted account have been deleted, and
GC has auto-created new splits to the Imbalance account - I don't know what
the internal process is- but it "feels" to the end user like a move, not a
delete.

Given a "transaction" is a collection of "at least 2 splits",  then I think I
agree with the OP, (whatever the validity of the reason for wanting to delete
an account), being told that "transactions" will be deleted and them still
existing seems a bug (maybe only in wording in the dialog box)

Maf.