David,

That's very strange, `string->number` is a guile function used only in the QIF
importer. Please run
  /Application/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash --debug
and attach the resulting tracefile (see
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile). It may be quite long so don't try to
paste in the contents.

Regards,