Steve,

The fact that some transactions appear in red during the matching and
account assignment step of the import process tells you that GnuCash has no
idea what to do with those transactions.

Your job is to assign the correct accounts during the import and GnuCash
may do better next time.
It is my experience that some banks or credit cards just make poor choices
of words that make it much harder for GnuCash to learn.

I get a few of those red transactions even after many months of
experience.  I just make sure that they are not still red when I finally
accept the batch.