Donna,

You can adjust the register for each account separately.  Just use the
mouse to grab the right edge at the top of any column except the
Description column and move it as desired.  If the total width exceeds the
width of your window, a scrollbar will appear near the bottom of the
window.  Then you can grab the right edge of the description, drag it
leftward until the scrollbar disappears.  Double clicking any column header
wil auto-size it to fit whatever is in the column.  Then drag the right
header edge leftward as desired.

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 3:17 PM Donna F via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user@gnucash.org> wrote:

> I can see from all the information, posts and forums I've been reading
> that the problem of not being able to stop the Name/Description column
> from taking up half the space on the ledger has been going for 15
> years or more. Every time I read about a solution, I try it and it
> doesn't work. Like double-clicking on the Balance Header, which made
> the column smaller. Double-clicking again made it so small it
> disappeared. Dragging the column header from the right hand side made
> it smaller. In fact, anything I did made it smaller. Once I've got an
> unreadable ledger on my hands, I have to close it and then use an
> earlier version of the accounts in which the columns are readable,
> even though I have now read that it's not possible to make the
> Description column smaller no matter how wide it chooses to get. It's
> like it has a life of its own! The other solutions I've read about
> mean messing with the code, which I don't feel able to do at all! Yes,
> I know that open source means you mess with the code, but all I want
> to do is keep my freelance accounts. I love this program and nothing
> I've seen is as good as this. But I can't live in fear of losing
> columns I can't get back. Can anyone help?

David Carlson