John,

If you review which transactions you are marking as reconciled while you
perform the reconciliation, you will note that the list does not exactly
match the list on your bank statement.  The transactions that do not match
will make up the difference, which could be missing from either list,
depending on the source of the error.  That information should aid in
finding the error.

It is possible that some old transactions in your data are no longer marked
as reconciled or more recently marked transactions are, or worse yet, some
transactions or split lines have disappeared or been added as a result of
some other error.

You can make the effort to find and correct whatever caused the discrepancy
or allow GnuCash to create a correcting transaction if necessary to offset
an error that is too difficult to track down.