Hi,

GnuCash stores the exchange rates in two ways:

1) In the transaction, it lets you record the exact conversion.
2) In the priceDB, it lets you input one price per day.

When you enter a transaction like #1, gnucash will automatically create a
pricedb entry for you.  In other words, you do NOT need manually enter
prices, you just need to manually enter a cross-currency transaction, and
gnucash will add the pricedb.

This could be a problem, if you enter in the wrong exchange rate -- it
will enter incorrect data into the pricedb.

Even more, the REPORTS only use #2, not #1, to figure out the "value" of
an account in another currency.

Therefore, I suggest you look in the PriceDB at a date similar to the date
of the transaction itself, and ensure you don't have some other exchange
rate listed.

-derek

On Thu, November 30, 2023 7:02 pm, David Kirkby wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 at 20:50, Adrien Monteleone <
> adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
>> As Derek noted, this is likely not a bug, but an issue with your pricedb
>> in your main file.
>>
>> I too lost the plot, and forgot that those reports can target which
>> price to use for such cases.
>>
>> Your options then are to:
>>
>> 1. Play with the price target option
>> 2. Edit, or delete the offending price(s) in the pricedb if not needed
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>

> I am in bed now using my mobile phone so don’t have access to GnuCash to
> look at anything.
>
> I was  unaware of the price db, and have not *knowingly* set anything up
> like I see described here
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes
>
> Maybe at some time I did mess around and set something up, and that’s what
> it is using.
>
> However, I have noticed sometimes that GnuCash does suggest a number of
> GBP
> to enter for a  USD transaction, and it’s “guess” is not wildly out.  I
> have not taken much notice of the values, but they seem to imply £1 is
> worth more than a USD, but not twice as much.
>
> I am not sure how GnuCash will ever be able to make a meaningful report
> that includes any conversion from pounds to dollars, particularly when
> each
> transaction will have a different exchange rate.
>
> I have tried to keep things simple when USD or EUR payments are made by
> bank transfer, by recording only amount in pounds received. I am not going
> to itemise the bank charge, as it is not recorded in any statement. But
> with PayPal the transaction fee is always recorded in the statements from
> PayPal. There’s a fee even on GBP transactions.
>
> Dave

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com