Don't hold your breath, but I believe the default behavior of the Since
Last Run assistant will change with the next GnuCash update in a few days
to be more user friendly.

The comments from others about the various settings being confusing may
still apply afterward, but there should be less clutter from SX"s that are
not doing anything today.