Just adding to what Adrien has said.
1.      Would it be easier to just download the current stable version and
start fresh (with opening balances) for 2024, keeping the previous
version/files backed-up and available for informational purposes, and in
case of a future audit? Can I have two versions running on the same PC
(Windows 10)?
I recently upgraded my main books from 2.6 to 5.3 (the current stable packaged version on Kubuntu Linux).  I had been upgrading along the way for testing, but hadn't seen the need to update my actual books as the functionality I needed was in 2.6 and working fine.  The main reason I upgraded was worried about loosing OS support for such an old program.

I took the upgrade through each major version path, all went very smoothly.

Just do note, that there has been an underlying change somewhere between 2.6 and 4 with the way GnuCash calculates the total on Invoices and Bills, if you use those features.  This has caused some headaches, but i now just add a rounding correction line, doesn't look very professional, but hopefully somewhere down the track they may go back to the old method, just be aware of the change before you jump versions.

Example: (Note I have not tried the specific values here, but this is what happens)
1. Add in Line item Costing $100 including GST
2. System Calculates item costs $90.91 excluding GST with a GST of $9.09
3. Shows a TOTAL on the Invoice of $100.01, or $99.99

Note that same can happen if you enter it the other way around, eg without GST and get the system to add it.

It is obviously to do with how it rounds the figures.  Just annoying when you enter in a single figure, and it shows the figures correct for the line item, but then calculates the wrong figure.  Have had it happen even with  a single item in the Invoice or Bill, but is more likely to happen when there are multiple line items in the Invoice/Bill.

Otherwise the system (at least on Linux, Windows may be different) is as rock solid as ever.

Regards,
Jeff.