Stan,
Scheduled transactions [SX's] are only executed when the Since Last Run
assistant is triggered, and then only when they meet several criteria such
as the calendar date matching the scheduled execution date but the SX is
not postponed or ignored.  Some users, like myself, have as many as
hundreds of these, and we don't want them going off when we start GnuCash,
because it might take a long time to get through the distraction, so we
turn off the trigger to run when the program starts and only run it when we
are ready.  Then, we might want to edit one or two SX's without being
bothered with the other 98 possibly taking off while we are focussed on
that one or two.  There has been a lot of discussion about the Since Last
Run assistant being rather unwieldy and there was an attempt to start
making it work more smoothly in release 5.5, but it hit a speed bump.  That
has not been fixed yet for general release, it is probably very complex
coding that we mortals do not comprehend.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 1:22 PM Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) <
stan...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2024-01-12 08:17, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> > I am not unsympathetic to that conundrum!
> >
> > On 1/12/24 12:23 AM, David T. via gnucash-user wrote:
> >> if I have to remember to run the SLR in order to have them created,
> >> then I've just changed the work, not reduced it.
>
> I'm confused. I'm not having a problem, but I would like to understand
> the issue raised.
>
> When has it ever been necessary to run the "Since Last Run" menu
> selection? When I create a transaction, it fires when it's supposed to.
> I've just tried one now. I imagine "Create automatically" is necessary,
> but that's ticked by default so I don't have think about it.
>
> It's true that the transaction doesn't run immediately, but it does run
> the next time I reopen GC. Is that what's being referred to, that a new
> transaction, created on the same day as the first desired occurrence,
> doesn't fire in the same GC session unless you select "Since Last Run",
> though it _does_ fire automatically in the next GC session? (As I say,
> I've just tried this.) Or is there some change in behavior between 4.x
> and 5.x, and that's what's being referred to?
>
> Can someone clarify the issue, please?
>
> P.S. Someone referred to not being able to have formulas in a Scheduled
> Transaction. I just tried that too, with 100+100-50 in a debit split and
> 800-650 in a credit split. As I would have expected, when the
> transaction fired, the debit and credit splits both showed 150.00. (My
> currency is US dollars.) So it sure looks like formulas work. Again,
> maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue the person was talking about.
>
> Stan Brown
> Tehachapi, CA, USA
> https://BrownMath.com

David Carlson