That would be the case at first glance, but see my reply up the chain concerning correcting entries and usual procedures when starting with fresh books each year.

I'd hazard that with Pen & Paper, Reconciliation is *not* necessarily a function of the T-Accounts or General Journal. That is something done independently that happens to now be rolled into GnuCash along with everything else. Thus, it likely wouldn't even be a consideration.

Folks trying to imitate Pen & Paper using a computer are always going to have to adjust their workflow or make concessions for the difference in formats. This is true no matter the task at hand, or the software used, and is true of things not even accounting related at all.

I'm glad GnuCash gives the choice. Some software forces you to do what *it* wants.