I would recommend taking a few weeks learning how VM's work before doing it
yourself,but for a person knowledgeable about VM's it would be
straightforward if you can install or otherwise attach a physical drive to
your computer then configure a VM to use it as it's primary drive.  I
recommend having a knowledgeable friend do it.  I have been 'playing' with
VM's for a couple of years now and I have been burned several times while
learning how they work.  I still do not do anything serious solely in a VM.

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 9:48 PM Jeff <beastmaster...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/24 10:10 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> > If their drives with OS installations are intact, perhaps converting
> > them to VM images might suffice for now.
> >
> > As for Windows software, have you given the latest Wine a spin with
> > it? It may not work 100% out of the box, but you might get close
> > enough with some fiddling.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien
> >
> > On 1/11/24 2:15 AM, Jeff wrote:
> >> I'm just trying to get back to gnc and unfortunately a windows
> >> program, H@r Block.  Without at least 2 computers this almost
> >> difficult task unless you have a way to run H@r Block windows version
> >> 2023 under ubuntu?
> >>
> >> And right now I have only one computer.  A surge supseror exploded
> >> and fried all of my computers.  I have a temporary replacement for
> >> the network server but not any workstations.

> Adrien:
>
> I do not fully understand yet what has happened.  My "NEW" old tower
> recognized all of my drives I pulled from the blown up computers, then
> poof, the new computer suddenly doesn't recognize them anymore (all of
> the ssd boot drives).  I got lucky tonight and found the drive for my
> Ubuntu server or I would not be responding.
>
> If I cannot get the sata drive from my laptop back up and running then I
> am screwed for taxes (Stupid me I forgot to backup 2022). I can still do
> the book keeping from here if I can keep Ubuntu up and running (except
> that some of the financial institution ID an passwords that are on a
> windowze drive).  Much easier under__Ubuntu and a work station.
> Unfortunately for me, the tax software is on a windozs drive that I can
> no longer access.
> _
> _I have not tried using a VM, as this tower suddenly decided that
> several of my drives no longer exist.
>
> How would I move it to a VM?
>
> --
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.