There are some changes between major versions. There are checks silently run when you first open your file with a new major version.

You can run those checks explicitly via Actions > Check & Repair.

The goal is usually to keep compatibility between the last minor release of a major version and the next major version, in case you upgrade, have serious issues, and need to fall back.

I wouldn't worry too much about mix-n-match within the same major version (say, all machines on 5.x) but if you have to keep one machine held back, at least get it to the last release of that version. In your case, that would mean getting the Linux box up to 4.14. Since you're using Ubuntu 22.04 and GnuCash 4.8, I'll hazard a guess that was from the Ubuntu repo. You'd need to switch to flatpak to get 4.14 if you don't want to build from source, but in either of those cases, you might as well just bump the Linux box to match your others in the 5.x series.

The only alternative I can think of to keep the Linux version at 4.8, would be to export your transactions regularly from one of the other machines and then import them into a separate file used only with 4.8. But that is way more work than even building from source each release, not to mention updating a flatpak.