Chris,

LibreOffice uses Draw for PDF editing, not Writer. That doesn't mean the text isn't text. Everything is essentially in various text boxes. But having used it quite a bit, I can attest it is way more of a pain for large edits than either HTML or using Calc. For a small change though, it is just fine.

I've edited many GnuCash reports using Calc. It is by far the easiest route and the most useful. (you can do additional math if needed)

But of course, use whatever tool you prefer.

Also, as I mentioned, investigate stylesheets in GnuCash. You might achieve what you want without using an outside tool at all.