On 2024-03-08 08:27, Alan Johnson wrote:
> Please refer to the attachments. One is the Amazon invoice for an order.
>  This order is for Florida with a 7.5% sales tax.
>
> It contains 3 items, 4.99, 34.99, and 7.99.
>
> This subtotals to 47.97.
>
> 47.97 *.075 = 3.5955 according to my handy calculator.
>
> Amazon charged me $3.59 for sales tax.
>
> Gnucash calculated the sales tax (through the Vender -> bill interface
> at 3.60.
>
> An adjustment was required to make the gnucash entry match the actual
> bill from the vendor.  (-.01 to sales tax).

Thank you for providing specifics. That's helpful.

By the way, either your calculator or mine has a problem. I get $47.97
subtotal as you do, but my TI-84 Plus CE computes .075 times that as
3.59775, not 3.5955. That doesn't affect your main point, since either
figure rounds to $3.60.

$4.99 * 0.075 = 0.37425 --> $0.37
$34.99 * 0.075 = 2.62425 --> $2.62
$7.99 * 0.075 = 0.59925 --> $0.60

However, $0.37 + $2.62 + $0.60 = $3.59.

This is consistent with a hypothesis that Amazon computes tax on the
individual items and adds the tax amounts to get total tax. I'm sure it
doesn't do that for me (I live in California), and neither does Costco
or any other vendor I've dealt with that was large enough to use POS
software.

The first explanation that springs to mind is that Florida requires, or
at least allows, computing sales tax on individual items rather than on
the taxable total. I did a little googling and confirmed this, on page 5
of <https://floridarevenue.com/forms_library/current/gt300015.pdf>,
which says:

"Dealers must calculate the total tax due on each sale. The tax must be
shown separately on each invoice and may be calculated on either the
combined taxable amount or the individual taxable amounts on an invoice."

I've no idea why Amazon chose the individual item method when its
invoice shows only a total tax amount, but it looks like that's what
happened. In this case, it actually saved you a penny. In any case, it
looks like Amazon is within the law of your state.

Another possibility you might consider: For that 1-cent adjustment, in
your place I just drop the price of one item by 1 cent to make
everything come out consistent with the vendor. (I'm not using tax
tables, but enter prices directly as $XX.XX*1.0825, so a one- or
two-cent difference at the end is not unusual for me.) It's a matter of
personal preference, but I don't have an Expenses:Sales Tax account and
therefore I'd have nowhere to post that tiny difference.

As for a GnuCash error, I don't see one here. GnuCash used a legally
acceptable method to calculate sales tax; it just doesn't match the
legally acceptable method that Amazon used. You could file a GnuCash
enhancement request asking for the tax tables to include "tax by item"
or "tax by subtotal". Or you could ask Florida to mandate one method or
the other, not allow both. :-)

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com