Why not create a transaction for the appropriate year between tax expense and tax payable?

Dr. Expenses:FederalTax
  Cr. Liabilities:FederalTaxPayable

Then when you actually pay,

Dr. Liabilities:FederalTaxPayable
  Cr. Checking (or whatever source account)

That way, the expense shows up for the year of the first transaction, the payment for the year of the second. Both are correct and in their respective accounting periods.