David,

I could be mistaken, but I thought that the 'All' function negated the need to be viewing the CoA when running it, and that the non-All function operates as you describe. (context aware)

Good tip about the task manager. Sometimes the process is so fast, you aren't sure if it completed or is stuck. While I think there is feedback in the status bar of GnuCash, if it is really quick, you'll never notice. Perhaps a dismiss-able confirmation dialog would be more reassuring.