Your response was a little too deep for my question.  I simply want to type
in "Expense:Entertainment:Restaurant:Tip" instead of scrolling to the
Expense item then clicking on a triangle then scrolling to the
Enterntainment item then clicking on that triangle then scrolling to the
Restaurant item then clicking on that triangle then scrolling to the Tip
item and then highlighting it and then closing the window.  Which is
exactly what Quicken does and it is much faster than surfing all my
accounts, items and categories with a mouse.  If the account doesn't exist
I want to be asked, just like Gnucash and Quicken both do now, to add an
account/item. This feature already exists in Gnucash in individual account
register when entering a transaction.  Why can't this feature also exist in
the QIF importer?

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 9:17 AM Michael or Penny Novack <
stepbystepf...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 4/5/2024 6:43 AM, Joseph Keithley wrote:
> > When importing a QIF in the "Match payees/memos to GnuCash accounts"
> > window, an "Unspecified" transaction will be listed under "GnuCash
> account
> > name".  When you double click on the item, a window pops up that lets you
> > scroll
> > through the different "accounts" and assign the item to a specific one.
> >
> > Is there some way to just type in the account name directly instead of
> > surfing around with the mouse?
>
> Perhaps not. As a retired senior systems analyst/senior business analyst
> I can see a very good reason requiring you to select from the list of
> existing accounts.
>
> Answer this question --- if free entry of an account name were allowed,
> what would you want the system to do if the string of characters you
> typed in were NOT the name of an existing account? Do you want it to
> give you an error message at that point? Do you want it to not let you
> enter an invalid character*? Is introducing this error process (and how
> user recovers) worth the complication of the user's work flow?
>
> Michael D Novack
>
> * That's possible because the set of existing accounts can be expressed
> as a tree structure with the nth level of the tree being the possible
> nth characters. So this is like the nth character entered causing the
> "not (yet) in dictionary" of the Lempel-Ziv algorithm. Notice that even
> this "not letting you" would, have issues. because as a user, how do you
> know "well what character am I allowed to enter?"
>

> --
> There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the
> equality of the grave.

iii