It usually means that GnuCash is not quitting cleanly. Are there any errors in
the tracefile? (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile).

 In the SQL backend it's actually a record in the gnclock table, so a simpler
work-around would be to use the postgres CLI to remove that record.

Regards,
John Ralls