The distro does not matter. (with perhaps some caveats concerning dependencies)

While you technically can jump from 2.6.21 to 5.6 (current version), that isn't officially supported, nor recommended.

See the Wiki FAQ about upgrading procedures from one major version to another. (In this case, you are upgrading from one major version to one THREE versions later.)

The recommended and safest path would be:

2.6.21 -> 3.11 -> 4.14 -> 5.6

keeping a backup/copy of your data file at each stage and running 'Actions > Check & Repair > Check & Repair All' upon first opening your file after each upgrade.

Take special care that if you have Saved Report configurations, the name of the folder for those reports changed as of 3.x which may or may not get automatically renamed for you. (see the FAQ as noted) There may be other glitches along the way. (which is why it is best to step one major version at a time, and report back here if you encounter such glitches)