I want to thank everyone for their input. I did come across this
interesting book wriiten in 1868:

Book-keeping By Double Entry Explained by John Findlater
https://tinyurl.com/4zkws7dc

--

Not necessarily a bad idea, because an understanding of the old fashioned way, pen and ink on paper, will help you understand the process that gnucash is automating for you. You will certainly understand "splits" faster, and if your book goes into the "cashbook accounting" shortcut (where "cash" and a small subset of the most popular accounts are in a separate book serving as both journal and ledger) since THAT closely mimics the way we enter simple (not split) transactions using gnucash except instead of a small subset, all ledger accounts <<like were an infinitely wide sheet of paper available>>

If you have NEVER done any double entry bookkeeping not crazy being taught "T" diagrams on up.

As a second advantage, means you are learning independent of any particular software implementing modern double entry. Even if you are using gnucash for your own books not bad if you understood the underlying process so could volunteer to be Treasurer of some org that happened to be using something else. Would be a very minimal learning curve.

Michael D Novack